Civic Hall Labs is currently seeking accomplished and civic-minded individuals to join our team. We’re looking for dynamic folks who can appreciate the unique challenges and opportunities of designing and developing technology for public good, and who feel passionate about people-first processes and critical evaluation. Ideal candidates are self-starters, able to juggle and respond to competing priorities, and are strong communicators and translators across diverse audiences.
Civic Hall Labs envisions a future where the use of technology by all creates a more democratic, just, and equitable society. True to that principle, Civic Hall Labs is committed to equity and weaving a community that values diverse perspectives and experiences. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants from or who have worked closely with historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ people, first- or second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families. When applying, please include information about your unique background.
Open Jobs as of June 15th, 2017
Chief Operating Officer
Civic Hall Labs is seeking a Chief Operating Officer to join its dynamic team. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the COO will be in charge of ensuring programmatic excellence and supporting program growth operationally and strategically. The COO will work collaboratively with the Chief Technology Officer, Chief Partnerships Officer, Program Leadership, and other members of the Civic Hall Labs team as we enter a new phase in our growth.
Location: New York, New York
Experience: 10+ years mix of strategy, operations, program management experience
Reporting to the Executive Director, Civic Hall Labs’ COO is responsible for the strategic execution, oversight, and evaluation of Civic Hall Labs’ programmatic work. The COO manages, coordinates, and supports Civic Hall Labs staff in their various capacities in working cohesively toward project progress. The COO is responsible for the development and day-to-day management of organizational program areas, work plans and support of program and project staff and partners in execution of those work plans, including designing and tracking budgets, timelines, and evaluation metrics. The COO works very closely with the Civic Hall Labs staff in each of their areas to efficiently coordinate their engagement with projects over time.
- Lead the process of setting annual and three year organizational strategy and impact framework in partnership with the Executive Director and CTO ;
- Lead Senior Leadership on the creation of strategic programs and projects, and how they meet CHL’s organizational impact framework and metrics
- Create and maintain performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organization;
- Provide leadership in development of inter-team communication and cohesiveness, sustaining culture and supporting staff during organizational growth.
- Manage Program Leadership in developing and executing programs according to agreed upon strategy and goals;
- Establish and review key impact measurements across the programs;
- Devise, manage, and oversee the implementation of program work plans, including the direct management of timelines and budgets that adhere and contribute to the Labs methodology of designing and developing for the public good;
- Provide day-to-day oversight and management of program leadership in their execution of those work plans, working with program leadership to keep projects on schedule, anticipate challenges, troubleshoot where needed, and carry out Labs’ values through our projects;
- Develop and implement project management tools, dashboards, workflows, budgets, and all other infrastructure that streamlines work and documents program progress;
- Create and manage project and program data collection and evaluation systems to enable program efficacy and efficiency. Plan, track, and write-up progress in terms of Labs impact metrics and funder goals.
- Work with the Executive Director on top level strategy for how to grow successful programs, and report to the ED on progress;
- Grow and manage results-oriented program teams, sometimes in preparation for independent program leadership (Ex: Director of Justice Lab), including attracting, interviewing, and retaining high performance team members to facilitate scaling;
- Develop program funding strategy and implementation plans alongside Executive Director.
- Oversee organization-wide, daily operations and manage relationships with vendors and contractors;
- Coordinate Controller and bookkeeper to ensure our books, reports, and budgets are maintained;
- Support Executive Director with all Board matters;
- Ensure CHL’s financial, legal, and insurance needs are met;
- Manage HR needs through working with our Benefits, Payroll and Employee Compliance Vendor;
- Oversee the recruitment and organizational onboarding of new employees; ensure managers consistently executed employee reviews.
- Explicit experience in program management and development in a growing nonprofit;
- Successful track record in setting priorities, shaping processes, managing budgets, and developing infrastructure for scale ;
- Successful track record working with and managing contracts and subcontractors;
- Minimum of six years in leadership positions, supervising seasoned staff;
- Experience recruiting, building, and managing diverse teams;
- Experience working in a startup environment and/or within tech or innovation;
- Experience supporting an Executive Director / CEO / Vice President;
- Outstanding managerial, supervisory, team-building, and mentoring skills;
- Familiarity with the practice of civic tech desirable;
- Familiarity with government contracts desirable;
- Sense of humor appreciated.